wp88aa7158.png
Kent Village of the year 2004
wp56ccdafb.gif
wpef3982b9.png
wp3b48c11c.png
wp15c9a5c9.png
wpefee63b7.png
wp527e20a0.png
wp8b4ba485.png
wpa5fafd38.png
wp2fa8f7e4.png
wp327bcf26.png
wp026a4b4e.png
wpc8d1e2e9.png
wp2c60abc6.png
wp7102c615.png
wp684309d9.png
wpd686852b.png
wpfabc2c2f.png
wpc66ad9aa.png
wpba669341.png
wpa2a7090d.png
wp1eaa8f50.png
wp2e928be7.png
wp8fdac0c9.png
wp3149a07b.png
wp62238339.png
wpb5e7ffb7.png
In Memory of

Serjeant C A WHITE  MM

19151, 1st Bn., Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)
who died
on 27 September 1918


Remembered with honour
GOUZEAUCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERY
Grave/Memorial Reference:   II. H. 9.
Country: France Locality: Nord Location Information: Gouzeaucourt is a large village 15 kilometres south west of Cambrai and 15 kilometres north-east of Peronne. The village is built along the D917 which connects these two towns. Gouzeaucourt New British Cemetery is to be found opposite the civil cemetery, which is just within the village boundary on the D29, a road which connects Gouzeaucourt with Heudicourt. Historical Information: Gouzeaucourt village was captured by the 8th Division on the night of 12-13 April 1917. It was lost on 30 November 1917 in the German counterattack at the end of the Battle of Cambrai, and recaptured the same day by the 1st Irish Guards. It was lost again on 22 March 1918, attacked by the 38th (Welsh) Division on the following 18 September, and finally retaken by the 21st Division on 8 October. The cemetery was begun in November 1917, taken over by the Germans in 1918, and used again by Commonwealth forces in September and October 1918, but the original burials (now in Plot III) are only 55 in number. It was enlarged after the Armistice when graves were brough in from other cemeteries and from the battlefield of Cambrai. The cemetery now contains 1,295 burials and commmemorations of the First World War. 381 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to 34 casualties known or believed to be buried among them. Another special memorial records the name of a soldier buried in Gouzeaucourt Communal Cemetery in May 1917 whose grave was destroyed by shell fire. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker. No. of Identified Casualties: 916
wp1a74c9e4_1b.jpg
wp5b80e6b2_1b.jpg

Pictures kindly provided by Maureen Smith (nee White)

Click either of these two pictures for a full size view

wp3a8b2ad5_1b.jpg