wp88aa7158.png
Kent Village of the year 2004
wp56ccdafb.gif
wpef3982b9.png
wp3b48c11c.png
wp15c9a5c9.png
wpefee63b7.png
wp527e20a0.png
wp8b4ba485.png
wpa5fafd38.png
wp2fa8f7e4.png
wp327bcf26.png
wp026a4b4e.png
wpc8d1e2e9.png
wp2c60abc6.png
wp7102c615.png
wp684309d9.png
wpd686852b.png
wpfabc2c2f.png
wpc66ad9aa.png
wpba669341.png
wpa2a7090d.png
wp1eaa8f50.png
wp2e928be7.png
wp8fdac0c9.png
wp3149a07b.png
wp62238339.png
wpb5e7ffb7.png
In Memory of

Private ALFRED EDWARD LEONARD


G/11677, 2nd Bn., Royal Sussex Regiment
who died age 20
on 17 November 1917
Son of Mrs. J. Leonard, of Challock Lees, Ashford, Kent.


Remembered with honour
wp7cef80d4_1b.jpg
Cemetery: LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY
Grave/Memorial Reference: XXVII. A.A. 7A.
Country: Belgium Locality: Poperinge, West-Vlaanderen Visiting Information: Wheelchair access to the cemetery is possible, but may be by an alternative entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number: 01628 507200 Location Information: Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery is located 12 kilometres west of Ieper town centre, on the Boescheepseweg, a road leading from the N308 connecting Ieper to Poperinge. From Ieper town centre the Poperingseweg (N308) is reached via Elverdingsestraat, then over two small roundabouts in the J. Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of the J. Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing. On reaching Poperinge, the N308 joins the left hand turning onto the R33, Poperinge ring road. The R33 ring continues to the left hand junction with the N38 Frans- Vlaanderenweg. 800 metres along the N38 lies the left hand turning onto Lenestraat. The next immediate right hand turning leads onto Boescheepseweg. The cemetery itself is located 2 kilometres along Boescheepseweg on the right hand side of the road. Historical Information: During the First World War, the village of Lijssenthoek was situated on the main communication line between the Allied military bases in the rear and the Ypres battlefields. Close to the Front, but out of the extreme range of most German field artillery, it became a natural place to establish casualty clearing stations. The cemetery was first used by the French 15th Hopital D'Evacuation and in June 1915, it began to be used by casualty clearing stations of the Commonwealth forces. From April to August 1918, the casualty clearing stations fell back before the German advance and field ambulances (including a French ambulance) took their places. The cemetery contains 9,901 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, a few of which were brought in from the battlefields after the Armistice, and 883 war graves of other nationalities, mostly French and German. It is the second largest Commonwealth cemetery in Belgium. There are 5 Special Memorial headstones to men known to be buried in this cemetery, these are located together alongside Plot 32 near the Stone of Remembrance. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield. No. of Identified Casualties: 10752